Now that you have decided it’s time for a home décor makeover and painting refresh it’s easy enough to think that you’re all ready to get started.
So grab your painting tools and let’s get ready to paint and roll.
How to Prepare a Room for Painting
Before you begin your own DIY house painting there are a few things to know in preparing a room before you get started.
If you’ve hired a house painting company there’s nothing to worry about as they will take care of most everything for you with their home painting services, but you can help prepare before painters arrive by giving them clear access to rooms by moving furniture and wall art.
7 Tips to Follow to Prepare for Painting
1. Clear the room – Move furniture, lamps, and accessories into the middle of the room. Remove any wall art and pictures from the walls. You can easily place everything in the middle of the room and then the painters can provide the protective covering.
2. Remove electrical covers – by removing all light switch plates and electric plug receptacle covers in every room helps alleviate having to individually use painters tape on every one of them and gives clear access to the painter without the need of being overly cautious.
3. Cover the floors – Purchase a big roll of painters plastic cover, this way you can simply throw it away once the painting is complete. If you want to invest in professional painters drop cloths then note that they are more expensive. Using both helps ensure a leak proof protection to any floor surface.
4. Clean before you paint – Wipe down all baseboards, trim and window frames. Using a damp cloth with a small amount of dish soap usually does the trick. This ensures all dust, cob webs and any dirt is removed and the paint will adhere better to the surface.
5. Drywall Repairs – Fill any nail holes, pops, cracks or imperfections. Using a simple premixed compound to fill the imperfections and repair the drywall and then a light sanding to make a smooth finish will give you the perfect base to begin painting with a primer.
6. Caulking – filling in the gaps and cracks along the woodwork such as baseboards and trim, around the door frames, crown molding and window trim ensures a crisp finished looking paint job. Using the right caulking is key to the perfect seal.
7. Painters Tape – if you are doing it all yourself it might be a good idea to invest in painters tape to use around the glass on windows, light fixtures and to mask off the baseboards as this will ensure you get a straight paint line .
Apply a thin coat of paint along the edge of the tape and remember to not over load the paint brush when cutting as some paint will leak through the tape. Ensure the paint is completely dry before removing the painters tape or the paint will peel off with it.
Now that is just about all to help get you started on your own painting project but if it alls seems or becomes overwhelming to tackle on your own it’s reassuring to know that there are always the professional painters near you who can help you achieve the perfect look and prevent the suffering and exhaustion that comes with doing it yourself.
Hire a Professional House Painting Company
These above tips can be helpful for you to follow when preparing your room or house for painting.
If you’re up to it get ready as it is tedious, time consuming and not always as easy as it seems.
Look for an expert house painter in Ottawa that you can rely on to get all your house painting done efficiently, professionally and at a reasonable cost.
This article was originally published on May 23 2017, and edited on July 20, 2021